Sunday, August 11, 2013

Prompt #1

Elizabeth Piatt
Mrs. Wilhelmus
AP English Language
24 July 2013
Philosophical Questions
            “Who are you?” and “Where does the world come from?” are two questions that I would not give much thought to a year ago. I would simply answer, “I am Elizabeth Piatt,” and “The world has existed since the beginning of time.” After reading Sophie’s World by Jostein Gaarder, I realize that these questions are the foundation for philosophical studies.
            “Who are you?” The answer is not only based on name or physical appearance. It is also defining who you are to the world. You are a human, an intelligent species. Humans have brains, unique minds, and a purpose in life.
            “Where does the world come from?” This question can be answered based on religion, personal beliefs, creation stories, or a combination. Many religions believe that there is a higher power, God or multiple gods, who created the world. Others may have their own personal theories. Various Native American tribes tell creation stories as a way to explain where the world comes from and why.
            After reading Sophie’s World by Jostein Gaarder, my answers to these questions have changed and now relate to philosophical studies.  “Who are you?” I am Elizabeth Piatt. I belong to an intelligent species known as humans. “Where does the world come from?” The world has existed since the creation of the universe. 

No comments:

Post a Comment