Elizabeth Piatt
Mrs. Wilhelmus
AP English Language
26 July 2013
Gender Rights
Aristotle was known as Europe’s first great biologist.
Many people agreed with his theories about animals, but not as many agreed with
his views on women. Aristotle believed that a woman is an “unfinished man” and
all of a child's characteristics come from its father. I
was shocked when I read Aristotle’s views on women, and I do not agree with
him.
Plato provided more admirable answers to questions about
gender. Plato said that women should not be the only ones to take care of children
and the housekeeping. They also needed an education and other responsibilities.
He believed that women have “exactly the same powers of reasoning as men” (pg
92). He also believed that an ideal state needs women just as much as it needs
men. This shows that in Plato’s ideal state, men and women had equal rights and
freedoms.
I believe that Gaarder made a vast majority of the
authorities in the novel men to emphasize how many philosophers viewed men
above women. When Plato and Aristotle were alive, there were more men
authorities than women authorities. Gaarder made the authorities in the novel
male as a reference to how genders were viewed in the past.
No comments:
Post a Comment