Sunday, August 11, 2013

Prompt #5

Elizabeth Piatt
Mrs. Wilhemus
AP English Language
1 August 2013
The Tip of the Rabbit's Fur
            There are many philosophers that I have found to be very interesting.  They each have their own unique beliefs and theories.  One theory I agree with is Heraclitus’s theory that everything changes.  He said that one “cannot step twice into the same river.”  I believe that this is true because the river can never be entirely the same.  Organisms in the river have cells that are changing at all times, and the water in the river is constantly flowing.  As a result of the organisms changing and the water moving, a river you step into one day will not be the same the next day.
            One theory I do not agree with is Parmenides’ theory that nothing can change.  He believed that everything that exists now has always existed.  I do not agree with him because I believe that all creatures on earth are able to change.  Evolution is a theory that disproves Heraclitus’ belief. Throughout time, humans and animals have evolved and developed to what they are now.

            I like to think that I reside on the tip of the rabbit’s fur.  I have always asked myself questions that philosophers also ask themselves.  Where does the world come from? If God created the world, who created God?  These impossible questions are what keeps philosophers asking themselves more questions that keep them residing of the tip of the rabbit’s fur instead of falling deeper and deeper into the fur.

No comments:

Post a Comment